academic advice

Studying in a new country can feel challenging or difficult, especially if the teaching, resources and assessments are not in your first language. There are a lots of sources of academic support here at UEA, and there are procedures you can use if things go wrong. At the Advice Centre we can help you to find the right support and to go through procedures when things go wrong.

Where to find help

Every student has a personal adviser assigned to them. If you are having difficulties with academic work, they are a good person to talk to. If you are not sure who your academic adviser is, you can check on your student record (“SIS”) page on the university system (e:vision).

If you have questions about things like hand in dates or time extensions you can ask your Hub. If you are not sure which Hub to go to, you can find out where to go here:  

If you would like help with your academic writing or other English language support, get in touch with UEA Student Support Services:

English language support

Other academic support:

If you have a learning disability (such as dyslexia), or suspect you may have, the UEA Student Support Service provide diagnostic and ongoing support and are the gateway to adjustments such as extra time in exams. To find out more, see

When things go wrong

You are worried about an assessment


If you are unclear about what is required for your coursework, you can ask for clarification from the course lecturer or module leader. If your concerns are more general, you can ask your personal adviser.

If you are concerned you may not be able to meet the deadlines set, you may be able to get an extension by completing an Extenuating Circumstances request via E:vision. You can ask for two 3-day extensions in each academic year  without supplying additional supporting evidence. For subsequent requests, or longer extensions, you will need to explain in full why you cannot meet the deadline and provide supporting evidence such as a doctor’s letter. For more information, see

Most deadlines are at 3pm on the date given and in most cases you need to upload your work electronically. Sometimes students have problems with this, so we advise allowing plenty of time to upload work, especially until you are familiar with the system. We also advise you to keep regular backups of your work to save last minute panics if you have problems with your computer.

Sometimes we see students who have uploaded the wrong work by mistake and only find out much later when they discover they have failed the assignment. If this happens to you, come and get advice from the Advice Centre, but it’s best to make sure it doesn’t happen by making sure you name your work with full descriptive names – for example “[Module number] assignment-  draft [number][ date]”.


If you need help with revision or exam technique, look out for sessions run by the UEA Student Support Service office . If you feel anxious about exams and this is having a big effect on your well-being, make sure you talk to someone – see the section “Your health and welfare

If you are unwell, or are having significant personal problems which are affecting your ability to prepare for your exams, consider reporting these to the university by completing an Extenuating Circumstances request. It is best to report problems like this as soon as you can, so that if necessary adjustments can be made such as allowing you to take the exam later. The Advice Centre can help you with completing the form and advise you about what evidence you need to provide. If possible plan ahead, especially if you will be using evidence in a language other than English, as you will need to get an official translation.

If you are unwell on the day of an exam, and cannot attend, you must see a doctor that day to request a medical certificate. The University Medical Centre have a fast track system to make sure they see students who have exams that day.

If you are feeling stressed and anxious about an exam, don’t be tempted to take any notes into the exam with you, unless you have been told that you may. Taking notes or other aids into an exam is regarded as a serious disciplinary offence. For more information about rules for exams, see our information guide to conduct in exams

You have failed an assessment

In most cases, if you fail an assessment, you will be given an opportunity to re-sit it.

Resit exams take place in August, so you should make sure that you are available to return to the UK to take resits if necessary. Resit marks are capped at 40% (50% for postgraduate). If you cannot return to the UK for unavoidable reasons, you can apply to take your exams at an approved location in your home country.  Permission will only be grated in exceptional circumstances. You can apply using this form:

If when you receive your mark for a piece of coursework you think an error has been made in marking, it may be possible to request a re-mark if the mark is for coursework which has not been double marked. You cannot ask for an exam, OSCE or OSPE to be re-marked.

Before you ask for a re-mark you must ask to see the marker to discuss the reasons for the mark, and you must mark your re-mark request within 10 working days of the mark appearing on eVision

For help with the process, see an Advice Worker once you have seen the marker for feedback. 

If you cannot ask for a re-mark, you may be able to appeal a mark after it has been confirmed. Call in to the Advice Centre if you would like advice on whether you can use the university appeals procedure or see

You have been called to a meeting about plagiarism or collusion

You may find that the way you the university expects you to make use of, and reference resources is different to what you have been used to during your previous studies. The university also has rules about when you are permitted to collaborate with other students on your work, and how much collaboration is acceptable. Collaboration which goes beyond what is allowed is called collusion.

During your first few weeks here you will be given a lecture or other training about plagiarism and collusion. If there is anything you don’t understand, or you miss it, contact your personal adviser for help.

If you hand in work which has not been properly referenced, or which otherwise breaks the rules on plagiarism, you are likely to be called to a meeting to investigate what has happened, and if you are found to have broken the rules, will be given a penalty. The penalty could be a reduction in your mark, a mark of zero, or referral to a disciplinary committee for consideration of more serious penalties including suspension or expulsion

If you are told that there are concerns about your work, come and talk to an Advice Worker, who can help you to prepare for and accompany you to, any meeting.

If you want to read more about the rules, see our  guidance  or refer to the University’s guidance:

You have been called to a meeting about misconduct in exams

Taking notes, mobile phones, or other aids into an exam is regarded as a serious disciplinary offence. The rules are explained in an announcement before each exam, so listen carefully and double check your bag and pockets before you go in.

If you are called to a meeting, come in to talk to us in the Advice Centre – we can advise you about your situation and tell you what you can expect to happen next. For more information about rules for exams, see our information guide to conduct in exams.