health and well-being

Your health and welfare

When you come to study in the UK, you may find that life is very different.  If you are feeling unhappy, having trouble with your academic work, or feel unwell, there are many ways to get help.

Your wellbeing

If you are having trouble settling in to your new home or your course, you can come and talk to one of our friendly advice workers. We can listen to what’s troubling you and make practical suggestions, or help you find specialist help if that is what you need.

You can also make contact with student union officers. The current international officer is elected to represent the interests of international students, and the welfare, community and diversity officer has special responsibility for issues affecting student welfare. These officers are elected annually.

Good ways of feeling more at home when you arrive at UEA:

  • Join a club or society relevant your interests or home country
  • Take advantage of the orientation events organised by the international team at UEA Student Support Services
  • Look out for international events run at uea(su)
  • If you enjoy sport, join a club or look out for taster sessions  of activities run by uea(su). As a UEA student you can use the facilities as the UEA Sportspark
  • Try the Into café - tasty food and lots of people from all over the world to chat to.  

Academic help

Every student has a personal adviser assigned to them. If you are having difficulties with academic work, they are a good person to talk to. If you are not sure who your academic adviser is, you can check on your student record (“SIS”) page on the university system.

If you have questions about things like hand in dates or time extensions you can ask your Hub. If you are not sure which Hub to go to, you can find out where to go here:   

If you would like help with your academic writing or other English language support, get in touch with UEA Student Support Services:

English language support

Other academic support:

If you are not sure who to talk to, you can always come into advice(su) in Union House, where you can talk to an advice worker or volunteer who will help you to find the right person to sort out your problem.  We are open nearly all year, every weekday from 10-4. You don’t always need an appointment, just call in.

Your health

A medical service (known as the UMS) is provided on-site for all UEA students, providing day to day healthcare and dental treatment. To receive treatment you must register with the practice - . It is a university regulation that you must register with the UMS or another local General Practitioner if you are registered on course lasting 6 months or more.

The UMS can refer you to hospital if you need specialist treatment. You should only attend hospital if you have been referred there by the UMS or a GP or it is an emergency. In an emergency you can visit the Accident and Emergency Department at the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital

For minor illnesses, you can go to a pharmacy (there is one next door to the UMS) and ask for advice and treatment such as mild painkillers and treatments for allergies. You may find that medicines which you can buy at pharmacies in your home country require a doctor’s prescription.

For a more detailed explanation of how the UK healthcare system works, see

Paying for treatment

Some emergency treatment is free to all, but in general if

  • you come from a non-EU country which does not have reciprocal health arrangements with the UK, and
  • you are staying longer than 6 months;

you will have to pay for treatment unless you have paid an immigration health surcharge at the time you applied for permission to come to the UK. For more information see

For further information about health and wellbeing, see our main Advice page


Useful contacts:

advice(su) ( ) : 01603 593463

UEA security emergency number: 01603 592222

Emergency services (fire, ambulance, police): 999

Norfolk police non-emergency number: 101

University medical service: 01603 251600

University dental practice: 01603 592173

UEA International Students Advisory Team ( 01603 592761

Nightline: a listening service provided for students by students from 8pm to 8am every night in term:  01603 597158