officer blog


sophie atherton

campaigns & democracy

Local elections: are you registered?

The 2018 local elections in England are due to be held on Thursday 3rd of May.

In Norwich, this means that one-third of Norwich City Council seats will be contested. The City Council are responsible for decisions that affect everyone living in Norwich, including the large number of UEA students, so it's really important to register to vote and have your say on who represents you.  

If you are a citizen of Britain, Ireland, a Commonwealth or European Union nation and aged over 18 on polling day, you're eligible to vote. However, you have to have registered as a voter. 

The deadline to register for these elections is the 17th of April.  

You only need to register once - you don’t need to register separately for every election, but you must register again if you’ve changed address, name or nationality. As students tend to move and change their addresses during term time, you can easily forget to re-register and find yourself unable to vote. Students are a key part of the Norwich community, so it's really important that you make sure you're able to have a say.
If you're registering for the first time, you’ll need your National Insurance number, date of birth and address. If you don’t know your National Insurance number call 0300 200 3500 or click here to visit the website.

To register or update your details visit, it's easy to do and usually only takes five minutes of your time.  


No comments have been made. Please log in to comment.