Every year we have several students who stay at UEA during the holidays, if that will be you this year, then there’s lots of facilities still open and lots of things you can get involved with to keep you entertained over the break. While the holidays can feel daunting for those that can’t go home, I encourage all of you to make the most of what will be happening both on campus and in the local community to have a great few weeks at UEA.
So, here’s a list of my top ten things to get involved in over the holidays, and don’t forget to check out the end of the blog to see opening times for facilities on campus!
1. If you’re around for Christmas Day, then there will be a lucky-dip with lots of little presents to win in the Hive. This is part of our Winter Warmer Campaign which aims to lift spirits during the holidays.
2. Why not take a visit to Castle Mall Gardens where there’s an open air ice-rink open every day from 10am to 9pm. It’s £8.50 for 45 minutes if you bring your UEA campus card and includes skate hire.
3. UNIO will be offering hot and cold drinks on Christmas day for free! (Both the Shop and UNIO will be open on Christmas day, check out opening times at the end of the blog.)
4. If you fancy making some Christmas decorations, then head over to the INTO Mezzanine on campus, Monday 17th December at 11AM.
5. Postgraduates- why not head over to Scholars Bar on Wednesday 19th between 1pm and 3.30pm for mince pies, cakes, tea & coffee, and lots of other treats with other postgrads.
6. If you feeling generous over the holidays, then why not give an old coat to our coat collection for the British Red Cross in the Hive.
7. International students who are staying at INTO- head over to INTO on Christmas Day for a traditional Christmas meal with all the trimmings. The meal will be served from 11.30am-2pm and its completely free!
8. Head into the city centre between the 20th of December and the 24th of December to climb aboard an iconic 1965 London red bus! The trips will run on the half-hour from 10.30 to 2.30pm starting from Castle Meadow and travelling around the city streets to see the sights. This is the perfect opportunity to see what the city has to offer if you haven’t explored Norwich yet. The service is free but donations to a local youth charity are welcomed.
9. On Sunday the 16th of December Norwich cathedral will be hosting the Norwich cathedral choir for a carol-singing service. Tickets are free and can be booked here. Just turn up at 3pm for an hour and a half service, you don’t need to be religious to enjoy this, it’s for everybody!
10. What better way to spend the first day of the new year than to have a Harry Potter movie marathon. Head over to the INTO lecture theatre on the 1st of January at 12pm and bring snacks!
This is just a few of the fantastic things going on during the holidays. To see what else will be going on why not check out uea(su)’s full calendar of events, see what else INTO have got planned, or check out the Visit Norfolk website to see what else Norwich has to offer over the holidays. Don’t forget to check below to see the opening times for facilities such as the Shop and UNIO over the holidays. If you have any questions about staying at UEA over the holidays, then please do email me at email@example.com.
Monday 17th-Friday 21st December: 7.30AM-7PM
Saturday 22nd December- Tuesday 2nd January: 11AM-3PM
Wednesday 2nd - 4th January: 7.30AM-7PM
Monday 17th - Friday 21st December: 8AM-6PM
Saturday 22nd December – Tuesday 2nd January: 11AM- 3PM
Wednesday 2nd- Friday 4th January: 7.30AM- 6PM
Saturday 5th- Sunday 6th January: 10AM-6PM
Monday 7th- Friday 11th January: 7.30AM-6PM
Saturday 12th-Sunday 13th: 9AM-6PM
Sunday 16th December- Thursday 20th December: 4PM-11PM
Friday 21st December: 12PM-9PM
Saturday 22nd December- Tuesday 1st January: CLOSED.
Wednesday 2nd- Friday 11th January: 4PM-11PM
Saturday 12th January onwards: Normal term time hours
Barclays Bank: Closed over the holidays but the ATM will still be open
Please be aware that the Medical Centre will be closed on the 25th of December, the 26th December, and the 1st January.