Great news – it’s illegal for letting agents to charge to additional fees!
If you are signing a new housing contract this year, great news these new rules apply to you and can stop you being ripped off. Under the new Tenant Fees Act (2019) you can only be asked to pay:
- Utilities and council tax
- A refundable deposit (capped at 6 week’s rent)
- A refundable holding deposit (capped at one weeks rent)
- Reasonable fines (eg. For late rent payments or lost keys)
- Early termination of contract by tenant charge
- A charge for changes to the tenancy requested by the tenant
Any fees outside of this are illegal so it’s worth questioning anything with your landlord or letting agent.
It’s worth remembering that if you have any concerns you can contact our advice centre on firstname.lastname@example.org or make an appointment here.
If you want to learn more about the Tenant Fee Act our minimum standards document includes all the relevant legislation.
When you’re moving out also don’t forget to rate your house at www.marksoutoftenancy.com a tutorial can be found here.