Eradicate Hate is a campaign devised by last year’s decolonise uea steering group to raise awareness about racism and to ensure that students of colour are properly supported when reporting incidents.
At uea(su) we are very clear that any form of racism: derogatory comments, microaggressions or any kind of exclusion or othering is unacceptable. See below for more information.
If you witness or experience any behaviour that makes you feel comfortable please report this to us. If the behaviour is taking place in any of our venues you can report it to a member of security staff or come to our advice centre in union house. Alternatively you can report through UEA’s online reporting tool (where you also have the option to report anonymously): https://portal.uea.ac.uk/neverok.
We know that we have more work to do and are lobbying UEA to improve their reporting tool in a way that pays proper attention to racism; and are working to improve education around racism for staff and students across campus.
What is a hate crime or hate incident?
Hate incidents and hate crimes are acts of hostility and violence directed at someone because of who they are or who someone thinks they are.
What types of incidents may be hate incidents?
- verbal abuse like name-calling and offensive jokes
- bullying or intimidation
- physical attacks
- threats of violence
- hoax calls, abusive phone or text messages, hate mail
- online abuse for example on facebook or twitter
- displaying or circulating discriminatory literature or posters
- malicious complaints for example over parking, smells or noise
Microaggressions may include
- touching someone's hair
- crossing over to the other side of the street to avoid someone from a different ethnicity
- being treated less favourably or with more suspicion in a shop than a white person
- ignoring someone's messages in a group chat
- offering more support or help to white students
- talking over people with lived experiences of the issue
If you experience any of these behaviours (and the above is not an exhaustive list) we will support you to report them.