You must be eligible to be a trustee to stand for this position. Before you apply we strongly recommend you read more about the role of being a Trustee, paying particular attention to the eligibility criteria, on the Charity Commission’s website.
Trustees are ultimately responsible, individually and collectively, for all activity within the Union. The Board of Trustees is responsible for setting the values and visions of the organisation and for ensuring the delivery of organisational purpose.
As an Elected Student Trustee your purpose will be to:
- Ensure that UEASU acts in accordance with its charitable objects, constitution and other guiding documents and, in particular, remains true to its Mission, Vision and Values.
- Ensure that UEASU complies with all relevant legislation and regulations including relevant charity acts and education acts.
- Ensure that UEASU does not undertake activities that put its financial stability, members or reputation at undue risk.
- Work with other Trustees, staff and volunteers in a constructive manner.
- Participate fully in Board meetings and join one of the Board’s sub-committees.
- Use their personal skills and experience to ensure UEASU is well run and efficient.
- Seek external professional advice where there may be material risk to UEASU or where the Trustees may be in breach of their duties, or at any other appropriate moment.
- Add value to the Board and UEASU through generating ideas, challenging the status quo, broadening thinking and supporting and promoting innovation and creativity.
Benefits and skills from the role:
- You will gain a good understanding of charity governance.
- You will gain experience of building relationships with a range of stakeholders.
- You will have access to training and development opportunities.
- You will gain experience of working in a team and working collaboratively.