moving in checklist

No ratings yet. Log in to rate.

Moving in to your new student house this summer?

Lived in halls last year or unsure of what to do when you get there?

Here's a checklist of essential things to remember when you move in to your new rented property! 


Before you move:

1. Repairs

If your landlord agrees to make any improvements in the house, get this in writing. There is space to note works to be completed on the standard Home Run Lettings tenancy agreement.


2. Key Collection

How are you getting the keys to your house? Is the landlord meeting you there or is s/he sending them to you over the summer?


3. Meters

Make sure you know where the gas, electricity and water meters are (Not all houses have water meters).


When you move in:

1. Meter Readings

Take meter readings for gas, electricity and (if you have a water meter) water and give the readings to your suppliers (see below for what meters look like). For an explanation of how to read meters, see - this has illustrations of what your meter will look like and how to take a reading.

  • To find out who your suppliers are call:
    •  Electricity - 0845 601 5467
    •  Gas - 0870 608 1524
  • Your water supplier will be Anglian Water (08457 91 91 55) o Give your new address and postcode of the property and if possible have the meter serial number ready.
  • Keep a written record of your readings somewhere safe (eg your tenancy agreement). If you later get unexpectedly high bills, you will need to know this information to get help.


2. Bin Collection

Make sure you know when your rubbish collection days are. To find out, or to ask for missing bins to be replaced, or to report a missed collection, call Norwich City Council on 0344 980 3333 or go to waste and recycling page.


3. Inventory

Your landlord should give you an inventory. Check through it making sure everything listed is there and noting down what condition everything is in. For example, are any carpets stained or worn, has anything been left dirty? Doing this is dull but will help to protect your deposit. Taking date stamped pictures is always a good idea. If your landlord hasn’t provided an inventory ask for one in writing, and consider doing your own if none is provided.

If the condition of the house is not acceptable when you move in (e.g. it’s dirty or scheduled work hasn’t been done), contact us. We would particularly like to know this if you found your house via Home Run Lettings.


4. Council Tax

Send a copy of your Council Tax exemption certificate(s) to Norwich City Council, Council Tax Department, City Hall, Norwich NR2 1NH with a covering letter giving your tenancy address and start/end dates. You can download and print a copy of your Council Tax Exemption Certificate from the relevant link on your e:Vision home page. Note: final year students are only exempt until the date shown on the certificate and may be liable for Council Tax until the end of their tenancy agreements  


5. Smoke/Fire Alarms

Check whether there are smoke/fire alarms in the house. If there are, check they work. Home Run Minimum Standards require Landlords to provide alarms, fire blankets and/or fire extinguishers, so let us know if they are not provided. Any fire extinguishers supplied must be serviced annually. If there are no alarms (and your property is not Home Run) ask your landlord to install them. If this does not work you could consider installing your own alarms or contacting Norfolk Fire Service (0800 917 8137 or and ask if they will carry out a Home Fire Safety visit and/or provide alarms. Contact the Union Advice Service for more information.


6. Your Deposit

For most tenancies your landlord must protect your deposit with one of the three Deposit Protection Schemes and has 30 days to do so. You should check whether your landlord does this - try using our Deposit Protection Checker


During your tenancy:

1. Post addressed to Previous Tenants

Don’t open post addressed to previous tenants – return it to sender instead unless you have been asked to forward it by the addressee. To return it to sender put a single diagonal line through the name and address and write clearly ‘NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS’ and then repost the letter in a post box. If there is a return address in the envelope, circle it.


2. Repairs during your tenancy 

  • If anything needs repairing during your tenancy, report it in writing to your landlord. If you email or phone instead, keep a copy of any emails sent and make a note of when any phone calls were made and who you spoke to. If the repairs are not carried out and you need to write a formal letter these emails and notes will help.


Got any questions or need some further advice?

Contact advice(su) on 01603 593463 | |


No comments have been made. Please log in to comment.