Who Are We... What Do We Stand For... Why Choose Us?
We are a swimming club which aims to cater for all - whether you are highly competitive or a keep-fit swimmer!
We are a friendly, inclusive and hard-working team that is rapidly becoming one of the most popular sports clubs on campus. The club has been gradually growing in size over the last few years and we are always looking for new ways to improve and develop, both as individuals and as a team. All our training takes place at the UEA sports park which has excellent facilities.
The majority of our swimmers join us at the beginning of the year after visiting our stall at the UEA sports fayre but we regularly welcome new members all year round.
Should you wish to join or have any queries about what we can offer you, please do get in touch by dropping our President or Vice-President an email. We are always happy to help!
The team is made up of two squads:
- Train once a week on a Wednesday afternoon 1-2pm (when everyone has a break from academic studies)
- Is run by the committee/qualified volunteer student coaches
- Is ideal for swimmers who have no experience in competitive swimming, wish to develop their strokes, gain new skills and improve their fitness.
- Provides an adaptable, relaxed, fun environment where you can meet new people, socialise, improve and take a break from studying
- Train up to four times a week in the afternoon/evenings including strength and conditioning sessions.
- Is run by a professional, qualified, independent coach who is able to bring out the best in all our swimmers so that they can meet their potential and have fun while doing so.
- Train with the intention of competing at galas held locally and nationally.
- Is ideal for swimmers with competitive experience (even if they haven't raced in a while), for those that wish to take their training to the next level or are simply willing to commit to a slightly more demanding training schedule.
Regardless of what squad you train with, we guarantee you will soon get to know and make life-long friendships with, not just everyone from the swim team but the wider UEA sport community.
Training: (provisionally for 2018-19)
- Wednesday 1-2pm
- Sunday (Land training) 7-8pm)
- Tuesday 8-9.30pm
- Wednesday 2-4pm
- Friday 7.30-9.30pm
- Sunday 7-8pm (Land training), 8-9.30pm (Swimming)
- Tom Arkle
- Sam Payne
- Brad Stannard
- Stewart Park
- Alex Pinneger
What we can offer you goes far beyond just swimming. Below are just some of the opportunities we encourage ALL our swimmers to get involved in throughout the academic year:
- British University College Sport (BUCS) galas at Ponds Forge International Sports Centre (Sheffield)
- Sports Nights
- LCR socials
- Derby day (UEA vs Essex)
- Quest for the Crest (an opportunity for those with limited or no race experience to compete at Manchester Aquatics Centre)
- Pimp My Barrow
- Club Champs (swim team vs. water polo)
- Volunteering, leadership and personal development opportunities
- Sports Awards
- Regular socials (including trampolining, BBQ's by the lake, rounders, bowling, ultimate frisbee, team dinners, nights out in town etc.)
- Sports tour - Croatia 2018
Your Committee 2018-19:
A new committee is elected at the end of each academic year to run the swim team and the many events we take part in. Most importantly, we are a team for students, run by students - with the support of UEA sport and the SU.
Publicity and Kit Officer
Hannah Binning & Thea Harland
Communities & Outreach Officer:
Equality & Diversity Officer:
Health & Safety Officer:
Tom Parker & Ben Friar
The benefits of joining our team go well beyond just improving physical fitness.
Get in touch, get to know us and come join our incredible team.
Shelagh, Sam and the Committee x