If you’re looking to join a sports club, you’ll need to buy Sports Association Membership (SAM) before you can sign up to your preferred sport. The full cost of SAM is £55 per year, which contributes to the cost of sports clubs.
If you are only here for one semester or wanting to take part in a club for only one semester then only purchase Half SAM.
SAM covers things like:
- coaching and training courses
- travel to competitions and trips
- competition entry fee
- affiliation fees
- first aid
- referee and umpire cost
- external facility and storage
- equipment purchase and maintenance
- other costs associated with the activities sports clubs put on.
You only need to buy SAM once per academic year, no matter how many clubs you join, and when you've paid you will get a SAM sticker for your campus card. Club committee members also need to pay for SAM and their club membership.
PLEASE NOTE: SAM becomes non-refundable two weeks after you have purchased it, so if you change your mind about joining a club please let us know as soon as possible. Refund terms are below:
- If a refund request is made within 14 days of purchasing the membership and proof of purchase can be provided, the refund can be paid in full. You must email firstname.lastname@example.org directly to arrange a refund.
- Refunds will be given to students, if they join a single club and they cease to exist.
- Refunds to club subs can be given upon request, but Sports Association Membership is non-refundable after a 14 day period.
- Refunds are not available for any associate members
- Refunds outside of the 14 day window will be subject to approval by uea+sport staff on a case by case basis and will only be given on an extraordinary basis (please email email@example.com).
SAM Price Increase Statement from Adam Garford Head of Sport and Physical Activity
Sports Association Membership (SAM) is a small contribution students are asked to make to support the development of our activity. Following 5 years of no increases, but with our extended programme and increased costs over this period, it was agreed that this increased contribution would enable us to maintain our excellent programmes as well as continue to reach other sections of the campus that may not be currently engaged.
In the past 4 years the costs behind delivering sport have significantly increased as reflected in the figures below. These figures show an increase of £209,764 from 2016/17 – 2019/20, that’s a 36% increase in cost whilst the SAM increase only represents 10% increase over 5 years.
To support both the participation and performance programme we have continued to invest in staff and over the last 4 years we have appointed a Performance Sport Manager, Head of Football and an additional Student Sport & Physical Activity Development Coordinator. To reflect our increased offer and additional support we are proud to announce that we are one of only 7 institutions to have received the BUCS Physical Activity Excellence Award in 2019. Being awarded this accolade showcases our sector-leading practice for increasing physical activity engagement across the student and staff population.
Half Year SAM
Half Year SAM is only available on the following criteria:
- You are a single semester year aborad student
- You will be doing a semester abroad in term two
- If you are a full time student studying at the UEA Campus and purchasing SAM for the period of the 10th of January to the end of the 2019 - 2020 academic year.