Safety Hub



COVID-19 - National Lockdown

We are currently in a National Lockdown which means you must not leave, or be outside of your home except where necessary. You may leave the home to:

  • shop for basic necessities, for you or a vulnerable person
  • go to work, or provide voluntary or charitable services, if you cannot reasonably do so from home
  • exercise with your household (or support bubble) or one other person, this should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.
  • meet your support bubble or childcare bubble where necessary, but only if you are legally permitted to form one
  • seek medical assistance or avoid injury, illness or risk of harm (including domestic abuse)
  • attend education or childcare - for those eligible

If you do leave home for a permitted reason, you should always stay local - unless it is necessary to go further, for example to go to work. Stay local means stay in the village, town, or part of the city where you live.

If you are clinically extremely vulnerable you should only go out for medical appointments, exercise or if it is essential. You should not attend work.

For more information, click here to go to the website and view the graphic below.


Covid-19 travel guidance

Please note, currently, due to Covid-19, we do not recommend you book a trip due to uncertainty around travel and your members safety. Please make sure you follow the below guidance:

  • Norfolk is currently in tier 4. If you live in a Tier 4 area, you must not leave your home unless you have a reasonable excuse (for example, for work or education purposes). If you need to travel you should stay local – meaning avoiding travelling outside of your village, town or the part of a city where you live – and look to reduce the number of journeys you make overall.

  • If you need to travel, walk or cycle where possible, and plan ahead and avoid busy times and routes on public transport. This will allow you to practice social distancing while you travel.

  • Avoid car sharing with anyone from outside your household or your support bubble. See the guidance on car sharing.

  • If you need to use public transport, you should follow the safer travel guidance.

  • If you live in a Tier 4 area, you can only travel internationally – or within the UK – where you first have a legally permitted reason to leave home. In addition, you should consider the public health advice in the country you are visiting. 

  • If you do need to travel overseas from a Tier 4 area (and are legally permitted to do so), even if you are returning to a place you've visited before, you should look at the rules in place at your destination and the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) travel advice.

  • You cannot leave your home or the place where you are living for holidays or overnight stays unless you have a reasonable excuse for doing so. This means that holidays in the UK and abroad are not allowed.


What to do if you have symptoms or have tested positive for Covid-19

Below is some points on what you should do if you have symptoms or have returned a positive COVID - 19 test, please follow each step carefully. Please note, should there be multiple cases you would apply the below for each individual. For those that may live together, you all must follow the process as an individual. 

  1. Student must inform the University if they have a positive test or COVID-19 symptoms using the Covid-19 Notification Form  

  1. Relevant student must isolate and inform their household to isolate  

  1. Symptomatic individual must self-isolate straight away for 10 days, or longer if they still have symptoms  

  1. If symptomatic individual lives in a household, all other persons in the household must self-isolate immediately for 14 days  

  1. Self-isolation starts again if a positive case is confirmed  

  1. See the detailed Government guidance here  

  1. If they are able to download the app, the relevant student must also notify the NHS track and Trace App of their result 

  1. Student informs any student group committee, friends, family and visitors to self-isolate, who they have interacted with in the 48 hours prior to the onset of symptoms, e.g. what we mean by interacted is, if it was for more than 15 minutes and at a distance of less than 2m. Further definitions can be found here 

  2. Not to socialise with others in their household and keep their distance for more information on self-isolation please visit the NHS website 

  3. If you are an employee of the Union to notify your line manager of any upcoming or shifts within the last 48 hours before the onset of symptoms as well as any further shifts upcoming 

  1. Students should notify their Academic Advisor  

  1. Student in halls put up signage on the door / in kitchen, if you a resident you will be contacted by Student Services Residential Team to provide you with this information 

  1. Communicate result of test to   

  1. If you are a student group committee member you must notify the Student Union on