With over 180 societies, we are proud to be represented by such a vibrant, diverse range of student-led groups. We're always keen to expand the opportunities available and love hearing new society ideas from student!
I've got an idea for a new society! Will I be allowed to start it?
Before you actually put in an application to start a new society, take a look at this document, which has some critetia you will need to be aware of and meet.
Not all applications will be accepted, but we want to make sure that all get off to the best start. Reading this will support you in creating your society.
I've checked and my society idea meets the criteria - how do I get started now?
Now that you know your society application would meet the criteria, you can begin the application process. The 'how to create a new society' guide will take you through each stage of the process, so take a look and make sure you are ready to go!
Once you've read this, you can fill out a new society application pack. Please fill this out in as much detail as possible, to give you the best chance of being accepted.
Then send your completed form back to us at email@example.com.
My society's been approved! What next?
We will email you all the information you will need to know now that you are a fully fledged society!
However, this document also explains the next steps in us setting up your society, so make sure you take a look!
We also have a great new tips guide for brand new societies to follow in order to set yourselves up in the best way possible!
If you have any questions along the way, don’t hesitate to ask the Opportunities team - we're here to help you! Just email firstname.lastname@example.org or pop into the office and see us.
Over the summer period, Societies Executive and Union Coucil (these are the committees that approve your ideas) do not meet and therefore any new society applications cannot be ratified until October 2019.
However, do submit new ideas on this page and begin the application process!
- Can we still apply for a stall at Socieities Fayre? Yes you can, you will still want to advertise yourselves and sell membership at Societies Fayre in September, but be aware that if your soceity is not officially accepted in October, you may need to give refunds to those who paid - therefore it's best not to take any memberships until your are ratified.
- How do we get a place at Socieites Fayre? Do not post your new idea anonymously, and we can then contact you in August to apply for a stall.
- Can we prepare over the summer? Yes, you can begin planning activites and events, but do not spend money! Feel free to set up social media accounts and get promoting your society.
- Why can't we spend money? Because you are not an official society until you have been approved in October, your finances are not set up.
- Any other questions? Email us at email@example.com and we will get back to you as soon as possible!