Let’s be more aware!
President: Tory Selwyn
Vice President & Union Coucil Rep: Jake Goddard
Headucator Lead: Cammy Law
Secretary: Kieran Gadsby-Davis
Treasurer: Hannah Jeal
Workshop Leads: Ana-Maria Berar & Mariam Iqbal
Events & Publicity Officer: James Wall
Research Officer: Misha Annuar
Fundraising Lead: Nicole Henderson
Health & Safety Officer: Luke Read
Equality & Diversity Officer: Jaden Hope
Social Sec: Becci Anna
Medicine Rep: Shinjal Sharma
Who are we?
Headucate is one of the newest, most active, and exciting student societies at the University of East Anglia. We started out as a small group of medical students 7 years ago from Norwich Medical School and have since grown to become one of the largest UEA societies, open to any student, from any course. We're proud to be affiliated with the Royal College of Psychiatrists, allowing our members to connect with current medical professionals such as psychiatrists, helping us to further engage with the medical community.
We were voted 'New Society of the Year' in 2012/13 by the UEA Student Union. More recently, we were awarded ‘Rising Society of the Year’ at the 2018/19 UEA Student Transformation Awards and in the 2019/20 awards we acheived 'Student Outreach Project of the Year'.
Our overriding aim is to tackle mental health stigma and help end discrimination by running small workshops in schools in the Norwich area with children and teenagers to tackle common misconceptions about mental health issues. We do this as currently there is no mental health teaching in schools, and it is thought that about 50% of lifelong mental illnesses are already established by age 14. Most children do not seek the help they need when they need it.
Since the COVID-19 pandemic, we have continued to run these webinars virtually through online platforms, reaching over 200 students within the first month!
Are you a UEA student? Join us!
Develop many different skills by teaching and talking about difficult topics, working with kids is challenging and extremely rewarding! Raise your own awareness along the way. Make a difference in the local community. Gain hours towards the UEA volunteering awards. Looks great on CV’s or applications. Be part of an innovative, vibrant and friendly new society. And much more! Buy your yearly membership for only £3 here: https://www.uea.su/opportunities/society/headucate/.
What do we do?
- We provide our members with all the training they need to run our school workshops
- We hold fantastic evening talks throughout the year with top-class speakers on issues surrounding psychiatry, neurology, psychology and mental health
- In the past we were honoured to have been chosen to host the Medical School Dean’s Lecture, and have Professor Sue Bailey, the outgoing President of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, speak at our annual keynote event
- We conduct research into our school workshops to see how effective they are and there are opportunities to get involved with posters to present at conferences
- We also hold socials, a great way to meet people from different courses, as well as talks and fundraising events!