Let’s be more aware!
President: Tory Selwyn
Secretary: Shangeeth Uthayakumar
Treasurer: Tarosha Jayasinghe
Workshop Leads: Alana Eckland & Charlotte Skeen
Events & Publicity Officer: Bhairavi Hariharan
Research Officer: Nav Bansel
Fundraising Lead: Cammy Law
Health & Safety Officer: Aby Bartolome
Equality & Diversity Officer: Aby Bartolome
Union Council Rep: Jake Goddard Medicine Rep: Aukse Vijeikyte
Education Rep 1: Aukse Vijeikyte Education Rep 2: Gaia Ferro
Who are we?
Headucate is one of the newest, most active, and exciting student societies at the University of East Anglia. We started out as a small group of medical students 7 years ago from Norwich Medical School and have since grown to become one of the largest UEA societies, open to any student, from any course.
We were voted 'New Society of the Year' in 2012/13 by the UEA Student Union. More recently, we were also awarded ‘Rising Society of the Year’ award 2018/19 at the UEA Student Transformation Awards!
Our overriding aim is to tackle mental health stigma and help end discrimination by running small workshops in schools in the Norwich area with children and teenagers to tackle common misconceptions about mental health issues.
We do this as currently there is no mental health teaching in schools, and it is thought that about 50% of lifelong mental illnesses are already established by age 14. Most children do not seek the help they need when they need it.
Are you a UEA student? Join us!
Develop many different skills by teaching and talking about difficult topics, working with kids is challenging and extremely rewarding! Raise your own awareness along the way. Make a difference in the local community. Gain hours towards the UEA volunteering awards. Looks great on CV’s or applications. Be part of an innovative, vibrant and friendly new society. And much more!
What do we do?
- We provide our members with all the training they need to run our school workshops
- We hold fantastic evening talks throughout the year with top-class speakers on issues surrounding psychiatry, neurology, psychology and mental health
- In the past we were honoured to have been chosen to host the Medical School Dean’s Lecture, and have Professor Sue Bailey, the outgoing President of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, speak at our annual keynote event
- We conduct research into our school workshops to see how effective they are and there are opportunities to get involved with posters to present at conferences
- We also hold socials, a great way to meet people from different courses, as well as talks and fundraising events!