The Lakeside View is a postgraduate research community blog, set up in conjunction with the Courage Wellbeing Project to provide PGR students a platform to highlight issues relating to postgraduate life and mental health at the University of East Anglia.
We are seeking submissions for blog posts from either current or past PGR students (e.g. PhD, EdD, EdPsyD, ClinPsyD), or university staff who work directly with PGRs. Previous entries have covered tips for managing your PhD, combatting imposter syndrome, and the importance of finding alternative places to study. Topics of particular interest for us in early 2019 include, but are not limited to:
- Working as an Associate Tutor at UEA
- Benefits and challenges of being an AT
- Casualised contracts, hourly wages, and unpaid labour
- Precarity and how it can impact mental health
- The UCU and UCU's recent Pay and Equality Ballot
- Structural inequalities that PGR students face when studying at the UEA, including those relating to:
- Upcoming events and training relating to PGR mental health
- Advice for students at all stages of PGR life, including issues relating to:
- Mental health, resilience, and wellbeing
- Research methods, personal and professional development, and the PGR experience
- Publishing papers, attending conferences, and networking
- The probationary review and viva
- PGR engagement, the UEA’s research culture, and university communities
- Sports, fitness, social activities, and life outside the PhD
We welcome entries in a variety of formats, suggestions include, but are not limited to:
- A traditional blog post or short essay of no more than 1000 words
- Video content, such as a vlog or short film
- Audio content, such as short podcast or interview
- Photography or a visual essay
- Art, whether digital or traditional
Submissions should be clear, succinct, and for a general audience. The Lakeside View updates on Wednesdays.
To express interest in creating content for the Lakeside View, please fill in the following form, or click here. Feel free to contact Tarnia for queries or more information.