All annual leave should be agreed, preferably in writing, with your supervisor prior to taking the leave. Full-time PGR students, (excluding those on Professional Doctorates e.g. ClinPsyD) are normally entitled to 8 weeks (40 working days) annual leave, which includes the 6 University Closure days and 8 UK Public Holidays. This leaves a total of 26 days that can be booked when you like, by agreement with your supervisor. It is a good idea to keep a record of your leave.
Public holidays (bank holidays) are:
- New Year – 1st January*
- Easter – varies each year
- Spring – a Monday at the beginning of May and a Monday at the end of May
- August – usually last Monday in August
- Christmas – 25th and 26th December*
* If these days fall on either Saturday or Sunday the public holiday moves to the next weekday
University Closure days are:
- 2 days either side of the Easter holiday
- 4 days between Christmas and New Year
If you are studying on a Professional Doctorate you should check your Course Handbook for Annual Leave entitlements and any associated conditions.