student well-being contacts

Below we've collected some useful contacts that all students, including our PG members, should be aware of.

Mental Health Support 

To book an initial appointment contact the UEA Student Support Service on 01603 592761 or the Counselling and Wellbeing Administrator on 01603 592651. You can also email


The Union Advice Centre can offer information on a wide range of topics from health and wellbeing to crime and student safety.

We can also offer

  • a listening ear for students with personal issues
  • signposting to other university and external services and
  • try to mediate if you have housemate problems, if both parties agree

This page can guide you to the many sources of help and support available to you:

A variety of helpful groups and  activites are provided  by the  Courage Wellbeing Project  ( )


Nightline is a confidential and impartial listening and information service run for students by students. Open from 8pm to 8am every night during term time. 

Phone: 01603 597158

On campus medical centre:

The university medical service provides GP services for UEA students, and also provides occupational health services for some groups of UEA students. The surgery is located on the corner of Bluebell Road and University Drive (near INTO)

Their reception and appointments number is 01603 251600

Local NHS services on mental health:

Wellbeing Norfolk and Waveney

Norfolk mental health care NHS Trust:

22-24 Colegate, Norwich NR3 1BQ

Phone: 0603 629211

NHS Direct Mental health link

Local charities who work on mental health:


The Samaritans provide 24/7 confidential emotional support to those experiencing distress or despair, including feelings that may lead to suicide.  

They have a FREE national number to call - 116 123. 

Norwich Samaritans is based at 19 St Stephen's Square, Norwich and personal callers can drop-in between 8.00am and 9.00pm.

Local helpline (local charges apply): 01603 611311.

Norwich Mind:

  • Mindfulness courses and meditation for stress relief

St Barnabas Counselling Centre

  • Accredited counselling centre which accepts self-referrals and provides some low-cost counselling options
  • Tel. 01603 625222

Priory Well- being Centre Norwich

13 Cathedral Street, Norwich NR1 1LU

Phone: 01603 661718

If you need academic support

If you encounter problems with your academic work, your first port of call will be your Personal Adviser if you are on a taught programme, or if you are doing a research degree, one of your supervisors. If they feel you need academic support they may refer you to the Learning Enhancement Team at the UEA Student Support Service ( . You can also approach them yourself if you feel they can help you. Their services include help with:

  • mathematics and statistics
  • academic writing
  • use of English, including classes targeted for students whose first language is not English, with separate classes for undergraduates and postgraduates
  • study skills

The UEA Student Support Service also provides support with specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia and dyscalculia

Concessions/Extenuating circumstances

“Extenuating circumstances” (“ECs”) is the term used to cover circumstances beyond the control of a student which affects their ability to study. This can include ill health and other adverse personal circumstances.

Students on taught programmes may need to report Extenuating Circumstances:

  • to request additional time to meet an assessment deadline
  • to ask for them to be considered by a Board of Examiners when considering academic results
  • if you are unable to attend an exam or other assessment event.

Research students may need to apply for a concession in these circumstances – a concession is an exception to the established procedures and regulations of the University, such as requesting an extension to your period of study, or applying for an interruption of studies . See for more information.

For more information on reporting ECs see (Taught programmes) or (research students).

The advice(su) can help you with advice on:

  • when you need to report ECs/apply for a concession
  • How much detail to include; and
  • What supporting evidence you need to provide