thinking about asking for a re-mark?

If you are not happy with a mark you have received advice(su) can offer you help and guidance and explain your options. These include:

  • A re-mark; or
  • an academic appeal
  • an academic complaint

The main reason for asking for a re-mark is that you think there is something wrong with the marking process which has affected your mark. Following a remark, your mark may stay the same, go up, or be reduced.

You cannot appeal a mark unless you can show there is some underlying problem which has affected it – for example that you had extenuating circumstances which affected your performance and have not been considered, or that the teaching you received was inadequate. For more information about appealing, see the section above

You can ask the university to look at problems with the marking process by making an academic complaint, but a complaint cannot change your mark.

What work can be re-marked?

  • Re-marking is only available for work which has not been double marked. If work has been double marked, you may be able to appeal, once the marked is confirmed, if you have a good reason for an academic appeal
  • You cannot ask for an exam or an OSCE or OSPE to be re-marked, even if it has been moderated rather than double marked.
  • Before you ask for a re-mark, you must ask to see the marker to discuss for the reasons for the mark.

When can you ask for a re-mark?

You must make the request within 10 working days of publication of the mark on eVision. If you think that the mark has been incorrectly recorded on e:Vision, raise this with the Hub so that this can be checked.

If you have grounds for an appeal but instead request a re-mark and are given one, a later appeal could be rejected.

how to request a re-mark

Once you have decided that a re-mark is your best option, you should complete form LTS005 and hand it to the Hub.

On the form, you will need to show that one or more of the following reasons applies, and produce evidence that:

  • the mark is not consistent with the feedback given
  • feedback suggests that part of your submission has not been considered
  • the assessment criteria have not been appropriately applied

You will also have to show that you have spoken to the marker about the reason for the mark or get them to sign the form. If you have discussed the point by email, you can use copies of the emails to prove this. If the marker does not respond to requests for a meeting, come and talk to us at advice|su.

The evidence needed might include:

  • a statement from you quoting the feedback showing that it appears that the marker has failed to mark part of your work, (for example,  the feedback says that you did not mention a point that you have covered in your work); or
  • a copy of the feedback and a statement from you explaining why it does not address points in your work, giving examples; or
  • evidence showing why the marking does not meet the assessment criteria  given for the work This could be a statement from you  giving examples of where the marking does not reflect the published assessment criteria. 

When your work has been remarked, if there is a difference between the original mark and the second mark, the Director of Learning and Teaching for your School will adjudicate and award a mark. Remember, this could be lower than your original mark.