Welcome to UEA Pole Fitness!
We are a group of enthusiastic, friendly people who invite beginners through to the experienced to join us. We encourage members of any gender, age, ability, etc. to join us – we welcome everyone!
When do we train?
- Each lessons lasts one hour, and is every Sunday between 2-8pm in Congregation Hall 01.20.
- We have Wednesday practice sessions from 4:30-6:30pm for all levels of members!
What are classes like?
Please make sure you turn up at least 10 minutes before your lesson starts so we can start on time. Classes start with a warm up to prepare your body and prevent injury. Our amazing PDC approved instructor Holly will demonstrate a variety of moves and break them down into manageable parts for you to try. The lesson ends with a cool down to reduce soreness and improve flexibility. Classes have a maximum of 18 people but can vary in size depending on demand.
What do I wear and what can’t I wear?
We recommend you wear shorts as the skin on your legs is needed to grip the pole. A vest or t-shirt is also appropriate to wear. To avoid injury to yourself and damage to the poles, please don’t apply lotions, tanning products or any type of moisturiser before class. These make the poles slippery and can be dangerous. Jewellery must not be worn as it can damage the poles.
Do I need to bring anything else to classes?
Bring a bottle of water to keep you hydrated and some grip if you have any!
When are your taster sessions?
Our taster sessions will be on Sunday 29th September following Sports Fayre on the Wednesday 25th September. They will last only 30 minutes so please make sure to turn up 15 minutes before your taster so we can sign you in and fill out some forms! More details will be available closer to the time.
What socials and other events do you do?
We offer a variety of both alcoholic and non-alcoholic socials. We will have lots of fancy dress themes for nights out, laid back pizza evenings, laser tag, and more!
Throughout the year we have many events, from our 24 Hour Pole-a-thon to our Showcase for all our members to get involved in!
Do we have any competitions?
Yes! We compete in IUPDC South East Regionals as well as Derby Day which is a yearly sporting event against Essex University.
Image on Right (C) Zoé Kerboul
- A yearlong membership from September is £20, and lessons cost £3 per lesson. We ask you to pay upfront in a single payment per semester for lessons.
- Membership starting from January is £10.
- Anyone who joins a UEA Sports Club also has to buy SAM (Sports Association Membership) which contributes to the funding of the clubs. This year it is £55, and only needs to be bought once in the year. If you are buying SAM in January, it is cheaper.
- Our Wednesday practices are free to members as part of your membership.
- If you are unsure about what level (beginner, intermediate, advanced) you are suitable for please message our president Ellie Bradshaw.
- We cannot offer a refund of membership if you choose not to show up to your lessons. This is because the place is reserved for you on our very high-demand course, which otherwise could have been given to someone else.
- Beginners, please note if you miss more than 2 lessons in a row in the first three weeks you will lose your place due to the pace at which we try to progress our members. Your place will be given to someone on the reserve list!
- We understand for HSC and medical students it may be difficult to attend every lesson due to placement, therefore we are more lenient in terms of attendance.
Remember everyone was a beginner once!
Sometimes people are nervous about starting pole fitness with issues of fitness of flexibility, especially regarding upper body strength. But don't worry! Your upper body strength and overall fitness will improve throughout the lessons, developing as you learn.
We hope to see you soon! x
||Bethan Reid & Jess Serrurier
|Equality & Diversity Officer
|Health & Safety Officer
|Union Council Rep
|Fundraising & Sponsorship
||To be elected in November 2019
|1st Year Reps (x2)
||To be elected in November 2019
If you have an unanswered question about the UEA Pole Fitness Club, please don’t hesitate to contact one of the committee members or simply message the Facebook page.
- Instagram: @ueapf
- Twitter: @polefitnessuea
- Facebook: UEA Pole Fitness