** PLEASE MAKE SURE TO BUY BOTH THE £15 MEMBERSHIP AND £25 LESSONS, OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT HAVE A SPACE**
Welcome to UEA Pole Fitness!
We are a group of enthusiastic, friendly people who invite beginners through to the experienced to join us. We encourage members of any gender, age, ability, etc. to join us – we welcome everyone!
When do we train?
- Each pole fitness lesson lasts one hour and is every Sunday between 2-8pm in Congregation Hall 01.20.
- We have Wednesday practice sessions from 4:30-6:30pm for all levels of members!
- New to 2019/20 we will be holding a variety of flexibility, strength and choreography classes on Fridays 5:30-7:30pm.
What are classes like?
Please make sure you turn up at least 10 minutes before your lesson starts so we can start on time. Classes start with a warm up to prepare your body and prevent injury. Our amazing PDC approved instructor Holly Munson will demonstrate a variety of moves and break them down into manageable parts for you to try. The lesson ends with a cool down to reduce soreness and improve flexibility. Classes have a maximum of 18 people but can vary in size depending on demand. We have 3 Beginners classes (3-4pm, 4-5pm and 5-6pm), an Intermediate class (6-7pm) and an Intermediate Plus class (7-8pm). An additional Beginners class is added in January (2-3pm).
But I'm not that strong or fit, will I be able to take part?
Of course! Most of us have never tried Pole Fitness before coming to UEA and classes are specifically designed to increase your strength and flexibility over the weeks. We all have to start somewhere... and our club is a great place to start!
What do I wear and what can’t I wear?
We recommend you wear shorts as the skin on your legs is needed to grip the pole and a vest or T-shirt. A lot of people worry about wearing shorts, but we come in all shapes and sizes and are a judgement-free zone, so most people end up wondering why they worried in the first place! If you're still unsure on what to wear, please check out the Birds of Dereham website where we have new kit available for 2019/20 under the ‘Sports Specific’ Section! Our crop tops will be available to order on this UEA SU Page in products. You can find other items of clothing such as leggings, jumpers, and t-shirts under the general UEA sports category.
To avoid injury to yourself and damage to the poles, please don’t apply lotions, tanning products or any type of moisturiser before class. These make the poles slippery and can be dangerous. Jewellery must not be worn as it can damage the poles.
Do I need to bring anything else to classes?
Bring a bottle of water to keep you hydrated and some grip if you have any! We provide flannels for drying your hands.
When are your taster sessions?
Our taster sessions will be on Sunday 29th September (3 - 6pm) following Sports Fayre on Wednesday 25th September (11am - 4pm). They will last only 30 minutes so please make sure to turn up 15 minutes before your taster so we can sign you in and fill out some forms! They will be held in Cong Hall 01.20. More details will be available closer to the time. If you book onto a slot please make sure to turn up - this is because our tasters are in such high demand. We do not tolerate no shows so please let us know if you can't make it on the day so someone on the reserve list can have a go!
What happens at practice?
Our Wednesday practices give you the chance to have a go at what you have been taught in your previous lessons and socialise with members across the club! It's perfect for improving your strength and making new friends.
What's involved with the strength & flexibility sessions?
We will be holding NEW Strength & Flexibility sessions on Fridays 5:30-7:30pm (1hr slots) held by our coaches. Classes will switch between the 5:30-6:30pm and 6:30-7:30pm slot each week to be taught by both instructors so make sure you are free across both hours. Membership for the year is £10, however if there is a space free one week we will offer a drop-in of £3 on a first come, first served basis. Our classes aim to improve your strength and flexibility such as for holds, splits and back-bends through a variety of exercises. Equipment such as mats, blocks, and bands will be provided - all you need to bring is yourself and some water!
What about workshops and choreography?
We aim to provide several subsidised workshops from external coaches throughout the year, as well as masterclasses! You can look forward to choreography, floor work, chairography, and more!
What socials and other events do you do?
We offer a variety of both alcoholic and non-alcoholic socials. We will have lots of fancy dress themes for nights out, laid back pizza evenings, laser tag, and more!
Throughout the year we also have many events, from our 24 Hour Pole-a-thon to our Showcase for all our members to get involved in, as well as our Winter and Summer Balls!
We also hold several masterclasses throughout the year - for example in 2018/19 Dan Rosen hosted several sessions with us which were great fun!
||Wednesday 25th September 11am-4pm
||Friday 27th September 10am-4pm
||Sunday 29th September 3pm-6pm
||Cong Hall 01.20
|Compulsory Info Afternoon + FREE PIZZA
||Wednesday 2nd October 4pm-7pm
||Cong Hall 01.20
||Sunday 6th October 3pm-8pm
||Cong Hall 01.20
|Animal Kingdom Freshers Social
||Saturday 12th October 9pm onwards
Do you have any competitions?
Yes! We compete in IUPDC South East Regionals as well as Derby Day which is a yearly sporting event against Essex University. We encourage everyone from all levels to have a go at auditioning for these exciting competitions, with auditions usually being held in the first Semester.
Image on Right (C) Zoé Kerboul
- A yearlong membership from September is £15, and lessons cost £3 per lesson. We ask you to pay upfront in a single payment per semester for lessons.
- Membership starting from January is £10 if you haven't bought the yearlong membership.
- Anyone who joins a UEA Sports Club also has to buy SAM (Sports Association Membership) which contributes to the funding of the clubs. This year it is £55, and only needs to be bought once in the year. If you are buying SAM in January it is cheaper.
- Our Wednesday practices are free to members as part of your membership.
- If you wish to take part in our flexibility and strength & conditioning classes they are £10 for the year. You must have also bought the £20 membership to buy these. Choreography workshops will be on a less frequent basis and may require additional purchase.
- If you are unsure about what level (beginner, intermediate, advanced) you are suitable for please message our president Ellie Bradshaw.
- We cannot offer a refund of membership if you choose not to show up to your lessons. This is because the place is reserved for you on our very high-demand course, which otherwise could have been given to someone else.
- Beginners, please note if you miss more than 2 lessons in a row in the first three weeks you will lose your place due to the pace at which we try to progress our members. Your place will be given to someone on the reserve list!
- We understand for HSC and Medical students it may be difficult to attend every lesson due to placement, therefore we are more lenient in terms of attendance.
When does membership go on sale?
You will be able to purchase a membership to our club following our taster sessions - make sure to keep up to date with our social media to know when they go on sale as our classes are in such high demand places are sure to go quickly!
Remember everyone was a beginner once!
Sometimes people are nervous about starting pole fitness with issues of fitness or flexibility, especially regarding upper body strength. But don't worry! Your upper body strength and overall fitness will improve throughout the lessons, developing as you learn.
We hope to see you soon! x
||Bethan Reid & Jess Serrurier
|Equality & Diversity Officer
||Ben Lammy & Megan Russell
|Health & Safety Officer
|Union Council Rep
|Fundraising & Sponsorship
|1st Year Reps (x2)
||Becca Lloyd & Liv Sheridan
If you have an unanswered question about the UEA Pole Fitness Club, please don’t hesitate to contact one of the committee members or simply message the Facebook page.
- Instagram: @ueapf
- Twitter: @polefitnessuea
- Facebook: UEA Pole Fitness