non-academic complaints

making a non-academic complaint

You can complain about any University non-academic service, for example, catering, accommodation or Student Support Services. To find out how to complain see our information guide "Making a non academic complaint"

Whatever the issue you can come and speak to one of our advice workers who'd be happy to discuss the issue with you as well as any concerns you may have.

You'll receive advice on how to make a non-academic complaint and support you to draw up a plan of action. 

Appointments are available on weekdays between 10am and 4pm all year round. Book ahead or drop in to reception to see if someone can see you that day.

how to find us

advice(su) is based in Union House. You can contact us in the following ways:

drop in

An advice worker will be on hand on weekdays at Union House between 11am and 1pm on Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays to answer quick queries and to give initial help and pre-appointment guidance