physical health

physical health

Information for students or who need medical (or dental) assistance for short term health issues or support for long term health issues:

The university medical service (UMS) provides GP services for UEA students, and also provides occupational health services for some groups of UEA students. The surgery is located on the corner of Bluebell Road and University Drive (near INTO)

Their reception and appointments number is 01603 251600

You may need to visit the UMS for:

  • Non-emergency medical treatment

  • To get a medical certificate to cover absence or if you are too ill to take an exam, or need a time extension for assessed work (see  “Exam Help  “ and “Extenuating Circumstances” on our Academic advice pages)

  • Travel vaccinations

You will need to register as a patient of the practice to get treatment or certificates. Check this page to see if you can register. (Non- UK students may have to pay for treatment if they are only in the UK for a short-term visit (3 or 6 months)

If you are unwell and unable to attend lectures or seminars, you should use the UEA absence reporting page on e:Vision. All students should report absences, but it is especially important for international students and students on some professional courses to make sure they use this system.

You can see the full guidance, and an explanation of how to use the absence reporting system here:

You will find a pharmacy on campus - it is located at the Health Centre, at the junction of University Drive and Bluebell Road, where you can:

  • Get prescriptions filled

  • Get home remedies for minor ailments

  • Get advice on minor illnesses

Not sure where to go for medical help? This table will point you in the right direction:

There is also a dental practice at the Health Centre – see for more details, or contact them on 01603 592173

Contraception and sexual health

You have a number of options –

  • You can use the University Medical Centre, or  if you prefer,

  • iCash provides a complete range of service including all methods of contraception, pregnancy testing, STI testing and treatment, support for victims of sexual assault and counselling about sexual problems . Call 0300 300 30 30 for a clinic appointment or see for more info

  •  From C-card scheme providers including advice(su) and Nightline 

Alcohol /drugs

The Matthew Project offers free confidential advice for drug and alcohol problems. Helpline for over 18s: 0300 7900 227.

Outside office hours, you can call Talk to Frank on 0300 123 6600 for provide 24/7 confidential advice and support.

For information and resources on alcohol and drinking, see