Brexit is an ever-evolving picture with many uncertainties. The current due date for the UK to leave the European Union is October 31st 2019. However, the political uncertainty across the spectrum of British politics and the vastly divided opinions on whether the UK should leave the EU or not makes it impossible to be certain of the impact Brexit will have on students at UEA.

This guide explains the impact as we currently know it (4th July 2019), on UEA students due to the UK leave the EU by October 31st 2019, whether or not a deal is agreed - this is subject to change.

Do I need to take any action when the UK leaves the EU?

Students from EU

If you are already in the UK studying you can

  • continue to live and study at UEA
  • pay EU fees for the rest of your course and
  • receive the same student loan

It is expected that EU students will also be able to take out student finance loans for courses starting in September 2019.

You have the option of applying for pre-settled status (if you have been in the UK for less than 5 years) or settled status (if you have been in the UK for 5 years or more).  This will give you the right to continue to live, work and study in the UK.

Who can apply for settled status?

  • EU and EEA/Swiss Students who are already in UK on 29 March
  • EU Students who arrive to study in the UK up to 31 December 2020
  • There is no need for students from Ireland to apply for settled status

If you are in the UK with your family, they may also be able to apply. You don’t need to apply if you already have indefinite leave to remain in the UK, but you can if you wish.

When can I apply?

  • You can apply now, but you will need but pay a fee of £65 which will be refunded later on
  • If you apply after 30 March 2019, no fee will be charged
  • You must apply by 30 June 2021 (31 December 2020 if there is “no deal”)

If you have already been in the UK for 5 years, you can apply for settled status. If you have been in the UK for a shorter period, you can apply for “pre-settled “ status, which you can ask to be changed to settled status when you have 5 years’ residence.  It’s advisable to retain evidence of living in the UK for future applications. This might be evidence of tenancy agreements, employment or attending an educational establishment. Being in the UK continuously for 5 years means you must be in the country for at least6 months of each year. There are a few exceptions, allowing for longer absences such as compulsory military service, but study abroad may be affected. We recommend checking with the UEA Study Abroad office before applying for a course involving long periods outside the UK

Students arriving for the first time on or after 1 January 2021 will need to get clearance under new immigration rules.  No details of these are currently available.

Students from EEA & Switzerland

If an agreement is reached on withdrawal from the EU your position will be the same as an EU student (see above)

In the event of a “no deal” Brexit students from Norway, Lichtenstein,  Iceland and Switzerland will be able to enter the UK for up to 3 months for work and study after 30 March, or apply for “European Temporary Leave to Remain” for up to 3 years.  Contract Student Support Services for more information

International students from outside the EU and EEA

You position will not change - you will continue to need a visa and will continue to pay international fees. You can contact Student Support Services for help with visas and immigration:   

Settled status – summary



No deal

EU and in the UK before 29 March 2019

Can apply for settled/pre-settled status up to June 2021

Can apply for settled/pre settled status up to 31 December 2020

EU and arriving after 29 March 2019 but  before 31 December 2020

Can apply for settled/pre-settled status up to 31 December 2020

Cannot apply for settled status


No requirement to apply for settled status

No requirement to apply for settled status

EEA + Switzerland & in UK before 29 March 2019

Can apply for settled status

Can enter for up to 3 months to work/study, and apply to remain for up to 3 years

International outside EU

No change – you can remain so long as you have a current valid visa

No change – you can remain so long as you have a current valid visa


More information


UK Government

Guide to applying