Trips are a great way to keep your members engaged with your society and provide a fantastic opportunity to enjoy a social or educational activity.

We encourage all of our societies and clubs to run trips where they can. All we need from you is for you to inform us with some notice (a month would do). We then need you to complete a Trip Risk Assessment and a Trip Form. Whether it's a day trip or a month-long adventure, we need to have your completed forms to allow it to go ahead.

The Risk Assessment should cover all your activities and consider risks such as:

  • Participants getting lost

  • Participants becoming ill

  • Allergies

  • Loss or theft of items

  • Transportation

  • Accommodation

Your Trip Form should include information like:

  • Whether you have a trip provider organising the trip with you

  • Whether you have arranged travel insurance

  • Your participants names and next of kin details - this is important and needs to be sent to the UEA Security Lodge a week before your departure (ask us if you're not sure how to contact the Lodge)


Here are the forms you need to complete and return:


CLUBS - You need to send your risk assessment and trip form to at UEA+Sport. Please refer to this page for the relevant documents!

SOCIETIES - You need to send your risk assessment and trip form (See above) to at the Students' Union.

Quotes: "We had lots of beginners but the surf camp accommodated for those who had never surfed before, in which the beginners felt very safe in the water. It was great to see how many improved their skills in just a week!" - UEA Surf - Morocco trip.


One of the main things to consider when organising a trip is how you're going to get there and back. There are a few options open to you:

Public transport: If there aren't too many people going and you can get to your destination by train or bus, this is always a good option. You'll just need to tell your participants which tickets to buy and arrange a place and time to meet.

Coach: If you're travelling in quite a large group or going a long way, you might want to book a coach. We recommend asking for a quote from a few different companies so that you can find the cheapest option. We recommend the following coach companies:

Minibus / hire car: If you're travelling in a small group you might be thinking about hiring a minibus. This is a bit of a longer process and you'll need to meet certain criteria, due to the higher risks involved in driving.

Sports clubs can hire a minibus from UEA+Sport by contacting Jacki at

Societies will need to book their own minibuses as long as they match the criteria of the company.

If your society meets our criteria to hire a minibus, we recommend the following hire companies:

Your own car: If you are travelling in a small group and one of you has a car you're willing to drive, that is absolutely fine. You will need to have a full driving licence and be covered by your own insurance to drive other students on a trip.

Any hire fees or mileage you pay from your own money for a society or club trip can be claimed back from your subs account. Please contact for information on how to do this.