Sexpression: UK is an independent network of student projects based at UK universities who believe in empowering young people to make informed choices about their sexual and reproductive health through education. They run workshops in schools to provide Sex and Relationships education in line with the new Government guidance.
The values of the network are as follows:
- Creating opportunities to discuss sexual matters in an open, non-judgmental environment
- Promoting individual self-esteem and empowerment
- Encouraging respect for personal beliefs and values
- Facilitating informed decision-making and autonomy regarding sex
- Ensuring that young people have the skills and knowledge to access sources of confidential advice
The topics covered by the group include:
- Healthy Relationships and Abuse – characteristics of healthy, unhealthy and abusive relationships of all kinds, criminal behaviour within relationships and improving and supporting respectful relationships
- Sex and Consent – laws around consent, exploitation, abuse, coercion, harassment and rape, unacceptable behaviour, communicating and recognising consent, being ready for sex and resisting sexual pressure
- Contraception and Sexually Transmitted Infections – contraception choices, STIs including HIV/AIDS, treatment and prevention of STIs and accessing contraception
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity – information on sexual orientations and gender identities and prejudice and stereotypes of LGBT+ people
- Bodily Changes – puberty, menstruation including menopause and pregnancy
- Sex and The Media – laws around sexting, influence and realism of pornography and the influence of media (including social media) on body image and self-esteem
Sexpression’s workshops last 1 hour in length and are best delivered group not exceeding 30 students. These sessions are best aimed at those from years 7-13 and messages can be tailored for audience age-group. Sessions can also be linked to the ciriculum - please see full details here. All sessions are LGBT+ inclusive.
in this section